S.T.A.R.S. Program / SAIL Program ESC Of Western Reserve
Specialized Teaching for Children with Autism and Resource Services
S.T.A.R.S. is a school-aged program providing educational services to students diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, in an environment that fosters acceptance, independence and success. It is a public school based program located in the Cardinal Local School District.
The staff is committed to quotlearnquot about each student and, in return, teach each child in an environment which incorporates a multi-methodological approach with a foundation in behavioral science to educate children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The S.T.A.R.S. staff believes:
- The most effective way to educate children is through a multi-methodological approach with a foundation in behavioral modification.
- Children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder need to be challenged to the maximum extent possible.
- All behavior has a communicative purpose and it is our responsibility to assess and strive to determine the communicative intent of each behavior.
- Curriculum of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder should emphasize the development of the following: attention, imitation skills, communication and language, social relationships, symbolic play, self ndashregulation, fine/gross motors, adaptive behavior, and skills to meet the learning standards.
- Instructional activities should be adapted and differentiated to ability levels and learning styles of each student.
- All students should be respected as intelligent individuals.
- Families need to be active partners in their childrsquos education process.
- Vocational education is an important part of educational programming.