Achievement Centers for Children
What began in 1940 as a three-man Rotary Club service project known as the Society for Crippled Children, has become one of Cleveland’s most effective agencies for the care and rehabilitation of children with disabilities.
Children at the Achievement Centers may have a wide range of disabilities including physical, neurological, sensory, cognitive or a combination of these. In fiscal year 2013-2014, the Achievement Centers served over 2,600 children and their families through a variety of services and programs. We serve families from all income levels.
Our innovative programs and services focus on the key areas of Education and the Autism Program Therapy Services and the Intensive Therapy Clinic Family Support Services and Recreation and Adapted Sports.
In 2004, we opened our state-of-the-art 38,000 sq. ft. facility, the Breen Family Center, after completing a $8.5 million capital campaign. The five-acre site includes gardens, an atrium, outdoor pavilion, accessible paths and multiple play areas.
The Achievement Centers for Children is a private, non-profit organization. Recognizing that raising a child with a disability can create financial burdens for families, we work with each family to determine affordable, sliding-scale fees in many of our programs and identify community benefits that may offset all or part of the cost of services whenever possible.
We could not maintain this philosophy without the tremendous support we receive from our community.
- a child with disabilities or special needs is a child first. We focus on abilities and potential rather than limitations. Last year, over 2,600 individuals and their families benefited from our programs and services.
- in providing counseling and coordination of services to families to help them deal with the often challenging and emotional times that accompany raising a child with a disability.
- that services provided to children with disabilities early in life can have the greatest impact on their lifelong abilities.
- in providing innovative and effective methods of treatments based on research to gain the greatest outcomes. We are one of the few organizations in the U.S. offering an Intensive Therapy Clinic to children and young adults with limitations in movement as a result of such conditions as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and other diagnoses.
- in sound fiscal management. Out of every dollar donated, $.82 goes directly for the benefit of our clients and to further our mission.