To provide an overnight camp without communication barriers that empowers each kid with a hearing loss to realize their full potential through the celebration of their individual identity!
We envision the creation of an inclusive, educational, fun, barrier-free environment where kids with a hearing loss recognize their full potential through the development of communication skills, leadership potential, self-actualization and empowerment.
- Physical and emotional safety is our highest priority
- All children with hearing loss are equally encouraged to participate
- Experiential education cultivates important life skills: communication, cooperation, leadership and understanding
- Communication accessibility is provided in a manner that matches each childrsquos preferred mode of communication
- The values and rules of each camperrsquos culture are to be respected
- We respect individuality: Every person is gifted with unique learning and communication styles, talents, aspirations, strengths, weaknesses and culture. All of these characteristics must be recognized and respected
- Self-awareness arises from emotional understanding, self-confidence and self-worth
- Teamwork and multiple approaches effectively solve problems and promote self-actualization
- The program for kids with hearing loss at Camp Nuhop generates a sense of belonging, understanding, trust and pride